Getting ready for radiation
As noted in my previous post, I am starting radiation Wednesday (7/23). Weird to start in the middle of the week but I guess that is where they had a time slot opening.
I understand the concept of radiation to stop cancer cells from dividing and just destroying them. In that process, I may encounter some side effects. First my radiation treatment will be administered to my pelvic region. My cancer, from what Dr. Sevac told me, is right at the end of where my uterus and vagina meet. Apparently the cancer did sneak out and was starting to effect the rest of my female organs. Anyways, here I am...waiting for my first day of treatment to start. From what I have heard is that radiation side effects usually start on the 2nd or 3rd week. This I can understand with having Lupus for 10 years, some meds take time to 'kick in'.
My thoughts before all this, I am a bit scared but that is because it is unknown to me. To be quite honest, I really don't think I will have much in side effects. My doctor seemed confident that my side effects may be minimal as well. I don't have to worry about my cycle being messed up...nothing there! I did notice about the timing of treatments. I am going to receive 25 external treatments and 3 internal. Now, if things go as planned, it will be real close to our last camping trip. Not sure if I want to drive from East Lansing to Detroit for a 20 min treatment. It all depends what happens and my doctor can manipulate treatment as well. I am not the first to have time issues. Of course, if my doctor cannot, then I will probably have to miss camping. My health and destroying cancer is a bit more important than a 3 day camping trip.
I am not sure I am going to blog all my treatments. I may do the first one and then recap the week. Again, really not sure how I want to do this. I guess just see where this new journey takes me...
I understand the concept of radiation to stop cancer cells from dividing and just destroying them. In that process, I may encounter some side effects. First my radiation treatment will be administered to my pelvic region. My cancer, from what Dr. Sevac told me, is right at the end of where my uterus and vagina meet. Apparently the cancer did sneak out and was starting to effect the rest of my female organs. Anyways, here I am...waiting for my first day of treatment to start. From what I have heard is that radiation side effects usually start on the 2nd or 3rd week. This I can understand with having Lupus for 10 years, some meds take time to 'kick in'.
My thoughts before all this, I am a bit scared but that is because it is unknown to me. To be quite honest, I really don't think I will have much in side effects. My doctor seemed confident that my side effects may be minimal as well. I don't have to worry about my cycle being messed up...nothing there! I did notice about the timing of treatments. I am going to receive 25 external treatments and 3 internal. Now, if things go as planned, it will be real close to our last camping trip. Not sure if I want to drive from East Lansing to Detroit for a 20 min treatment. It all depends what happens and my doctor can manipulate treatment as well. I am not the first to have time issues. Of course, if my doctor cannot, then I will probably have to miss camping. My health and destroying cancer is a bit more important than a 3 day camping trip.
I am not sure I am going to blog all my treatments. I may do the first one and then recap the week. Again, really not sure how I want to do this. I guess just see where this new journey takes me...
Comments