Quadruple Bypass for Mom
I have a moment to write. Been a crazy week as you can tell by the title of this blog.
So here it goes:
Friday - Went over the folks' house per usual bringing the boys and playing. Mom confides in me about pains and shortness of breath. I have been telling her that she should make an appt and I would stay with dad so she can get checked out. Of course, she declines. I know my limitations does worry her but I can do things. Off topic...moving onward.
We left about 2/230, again normal, and I get the boys settled in. About 430, my phone rings and it's the parents. I thought nothing of it. Maybe I forgot something or mom saw something funny but it was my dad telling me mom wasn't feeling good. It was kind of hard to understand what he was trying to tell me but that's how much I got out. Then he hands the phone over to my mom and she sounded horrible. She tells me I think I am having a heart attack. I told her to stay put and I will be over quick. Hung up the phone with her called the in-laws and took them up to my folks and then turned around took mom to the ER.
Got to the ER, test test test...she's in a room with the possibility of a heart attack but have to monitor her. Saturday did the cath on her heart and she did have a few arteries blocked. Her heart surgeon, Dr Harrington, gave her the low down. He said it will be a triple bypass and could be more once they have her opened up. Great doctor, he spoke slowly and didn't pull any punches.
So she stayed there over the weekend and then found out Sunday night that the operation will be Tuesday in the afternoon (no time yet). Finally got a time but it see-sawed a lot.
Tuesday - Got to her room about 830am and they took her about 1030 to the prep room. Sat in the surgical waiting room until noonish to see her and say our goodbyes. About 215pm, another heart dr came out and said the operation started about 2 and it will be about 3 hours, depending on things go.
Now the waiting...About 530pm, that dr came out again and said everything went well and they are starting to take the heart machine off of her and prepare of closing her up. Dr Harrington came in and told us that that they ended up doing 4 arteries. About 630pm, we went in to see her and she was all hooked up with IVs, breathing tubes and out like a light. Everything went well and now she can rest and get better.
Today - Driving down to get Courtney to teach her to work with dad (grampa to her). Mom may come home on Sunday but she will be in no condition to do anything. The healing time is about 3 months but no guarantee.
I am hoping to get to the hospital to see her and say hi. Just gotta play it by ear.
So here it goes:
Friday - Went over the folks' house per usual bringing the boys and playing. Mom confides in me about pains and shortness of breath. I have been telling her that she should make an appt and I would stay with dad so she can get checked out. Of course, she declines. I know my limitations does worry her but I can do things. Off topic...moving onward.
We left about 2/230, again normal, and I get the boys settled in. About 430, my phone rings and it's the parents. I thought nothing of it. Maybe I forgot something or mom saw something funny but it was my dad telling me mom wasn't feeling good. It was kind of hard to understand what he was trying to tell me but that's how much I got out. Then he hands the phone over to my mom and she sounded horrible. She tells me I think I am having a heart attack. I told her to stay put and I will be over quick. Hung up the phone with her called the in-laws and took them up to my folks and then turned around took mom to the ER.
Got to the ER, test test test...she's in a room with the possibility of a heart attack but have to monitor her. Saturday did the cath on her heart and she did have a few arteries blocked. Her heart surgeon, Dr Harrington, gave her the low down. He said it will be a triple bypass and could be more once they have her opened up. Great doctor, he spoke slowly and didn't pull any punches.
So she stayed there over the weekend and then found out Sunday night that the operation will be Tuesday in the afternoon (no time yet). Finally got a time but it see-sawed a lot.
Tuesday - Got to her room about 830am and they took her about 1030 to the prep room. Sat in the surgical waiting room until noonish to see her and say our goodbyes. About 215pm, another heart dr came out and said the operation started about 2 and it will be about 3 hours, depending on things go.
Now the waiting...About 530pm, that dr came out again and said everything went well and they are starting to take the heart machine off of her and prepare of closing her up. Dr Harrington came in and told us that that they ended up doing 4 arteries. About 630pm, we went in to see her and she was all hooked up with IVs, breathing tubes and out like a light. Everything went well and now she can rest and get better.
Today - Driving down to get Courtney to teach her to work with dad (grampa to her). Mom may come home on Sunday but she will be in no condition to do anything. The healing time is about 3 months but no guarantee.
I am hoping to get to the hospital to see her and say hi. Just gotta play it by ear.
Comments