First Brachytherapy session

Normally I would blog once I get home from any procedure or doctor visit.  But yesterday, well, it was extremely hard to sit on my bum.  So I took yesterday off and took care of myself.  Now, after a good night's sleep (well sleep at least), I can write down what happened and my thoughts.

I arrived at HF about 940am and the waiting room was a bit busy.  Not unusual.  It's nice to have someone to talk to but they are mostly older ladies.  I felt like I was at an early bird breakfast deal! :)  Anywho, I saw one of the techs, Kathleen, and she came in and asked me about my camping trip and how I was doing.  She was waiting for her next patient to be simulated for radiation.  It was a nice chat but then she had to get back to work.

So again, I am waiting and chatting with some of the ladies.  Marissa (another tech) came in and asked how I was doing as well.  She was one of the techs that was going to be setting up my brachy radiation.  She told me that they are behind in my setup and there was a patient before me as well.  I had about an hour wait.  Mind you, it was about 1030am at that time.  So glad no one went with me and I had a decent breakfast so I wasn't starved.  I did mention to her that I was very nervous and anxious after what happened last week with the fitting.  She told me that the doctor went down one half.  Yeah, still nervous.

After a while, as I was listening to some women talking, one of them was doing the same procedure.  I asked her if she didn't mind telling me what she went through.  She didn't go into detail but she did give a pretty general idea.  I know all procedures are different but at least I knew something.  I am still nervous about the cylinder part and I made that known to my techs and doctor.

It was about 1130am when I was called in.  I walked into this room and the first thing I remember seeing is this small metal arm on the table.  I was fixated on that and asked Marissa 'What is that!"  She told me that is to only hold the cylinder in place.
Not what I had but close to what I had
So here I am laying on this table, nervous as all heck.  The other tech, Sally, put some lidocaine inside of me to help with easing the cylinder in and it also numbs the area.  Soon the doctor came and asked how I was.  Again, told him I am nervous and anxious.  Sally held my hand and had me deep breathing while the doctor put the cylinder inside.  It wasn't as painful but it was very uncomfortable.  So now they are hooking up these wires from the cylinder to the live radiation machine.
I didn't have this many but that is where live radiation lives
It took a while for them to hook and measure everything up.  Once I was hook up to that, I went through the CT scanner a couple of times (of course all medical staff was gone and watching from another room) to be sure all is well.  Once everything is good with the doctor, off we went.  I just laid there with my walls inside of me throbbing and trying to stay calm and relaxed.  It is very hard to do with a cylinder inside.  Felt like a bad date! hahaha! So I am trying to concentrate on the noise of the machine and it sounds like a washing machine About cycle 3, Marissa tells me over the speaker that we were halfway done.  Finally, everyone comes inside and said it is finished and I did a good job.  Really? I didn't do anything but lay there with a cylinder up in me.  I did asked Sally I was counting the cycles and I counted 6 and she told me yes.  So now I can count the cycles and maybe it won't be as bad.  My feet were numb and so was the rest of my body.  I think I was in shock.  I couldn't really focus.  Sally told me that I needed to be more relaxed.  I guess I should take a xanax beforehand! :)

Anyhoo, they (Marissa and Sally) helped me up, made sure I had my bearings and Sally walked me back to the dressing room.  By then, it was 1pm.  I had to pee since I drank half of my bottle of water and changed back to my clothes.  I really don't remember much of the drive home but at least it wasn't bad for I94.

Like I said before, it was extremely hard to sit.  I started to develop a headache and a fever.  I probably was clenching my teeth from the brachy.  But at least now the walls are a bit stretched and hopefully Tuesday's procedure won't be as bad (or long).

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Dermatologist

My head is going to explode!