EMG Testing

So this morning I had this EMG testing for this neuropathy thing.  OK it was at 730am this morning at Troy Henry Ford.  I kind of had an idea what to expect with the electric shocks which the tech chick did.  It was an odd sensation but the one that was the most traumatic was the one the tech did behind my knee.  WOWEE!   I had to keep my leg still while the tech gave me a zappin'.  After this was done (thankfully!), I had to get the muscle test part done.  The tech told me that most people find the EMG testing the hardest part than the muscle test... little did I know what was going to happen with that!

ok so this muscle test also checks for if your muscles have any response.  Well I know mine do!  So this is done by the neurologist (how special am I?).  She takes thin needles (yes, needles!) and inserts them (yes, inserting needles) into the muscle.  For me, one was in my upper thigh, front of my shin, calf (thickest part), hip and then the kicker.... 2 in my arch!  Holy (insert obscenities)!  All but the arch ones, were either burning or just discomfort but the two in my arch... felt like I was walking on thorns and they were digging deeper into my foot!  It was very painful!

After all that, the neurologist tells me that I will have to call my doctor to find out the results but she tells me it looks like the beginning stages of neuropathy.  REALLY?  Like I didn't know this...

So for anyone that has this pins/needles feeling and your doctor prescribes you to get this EMG testing done, I would recommend do it early and get it done.  Hopefully your testing will not include the muscles!

Comments

Anonymous said…
I had an EMG done last week. I know how you feel. The zapper got me worst of all behind the knee and above the elbow. Thankfully I only had to get poked twice. I can only imagine what those in the arch of your foot felt like. Must have been miserable. I am on neurontin for my pain/neuropathy. Well, acutually it is neuralgia. Thankfully, it helps.
Darla said…
Hey Alex!
Yeah my neurologist has me on Gabapentin. Still waiting for some relief and I have been on it for a month. I hate this waiting game of cocktails. Sucks!

Popular posts from this blog

Dermatologist

My head is going to explode!